Has COVID-19 turned your career upside down? Wondering how to add or enhance your remote nutrition services? The World Health Organization has recommended telemedicine to optimize service delivery to both non-COVID-19 and COVID-19 positive patients. It is vital that you use standards of practice, follow clinical practice guidelines, and work with in your scope of practice or legislation in your country. Here are some guidelines to help you determine the parameters your client should meet before adding remote nutrition services. Start now upgrading your professional toolbox!
1. Patient clinical needs and interventions are straight forward
2. Patient medical records can be accessed
3. No need to complete Nutrition Focused Physical Assessment/Exam
4. All information can be shared remotely
5. There is a safe system to prescribe interventions
6. The patient has the capacity to consent and follow interventions or refuse interventions
COVID-19 has impacted everyone. Use your expertise to help clients meet their nutrition and health goals.
Hlatki,S. A simple remote nutritional screening tool and practical guidance for nutritional care in primary practice during the COVID-19 pandemic(editorial). Clinical Nutrition 39 (2020) 1983.1987