Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Common Denominators of Aging Well
Chapter 2 Biology of Aging
Chapter 3 Common Geriatric Syndromes
Chapter 4 Cognitive Impairment, Dementia & Declining Nutritional Status
Chapter 5 Frailty, Disability & Declining Nutritional Status
Chapter 6 Sarcopenia, Cachexia & Declining Nutritional Status
Chapter 7 Malnutrition Screening & Assessment
Chapter 8 Malnutrition: Hydration Status
Chapter 9 Malnutrition: Vitamin & Mineral Deficiencies
Chapter 10 Dysphagia
Chapter 11 Homeostenosis & Chronic Inflammation
Chapter 12 Healthcare for 21st Century Consumers
The objectives of Common Denominators of Declining Nutritional Status include:
1. To examine the role of MNT in the context of common syndromes of older adults.
2. To examine the biology of aging as it pertains to changes in nutritional status.
3. To discuss the role of cognition as it relates to declining functional and nutritional status.
4. To examine characteristics of frailty, disability and functional decline as it relates to declining functional and nutritional status.
5. To discuss malnutrition, altered hydration status and nutrient deficiencies commonly reported in older adults.
6. Incorporate new approaches to assess for malnutrition and vitamin mineral deficiencies
7. To examine ramifications of sarcopenia and cachexia as it relates to declining nutritional status.
8. To discuss the process of normal swallowing.
9. To describe the different consistency textures recommended for individuals with dysphagia.
10. To examine ramifications of homeostenosis and chronic inflammation as it relates to declining nutritional status.
CDR Learning Codes that can apply to this course include 2090, 3000, 3020, 3040, 3050, 3060, 3070, 3100, 4170, 4180, 4190, 5000, 5010, 5020, 5030, 5040, 5050, 5090, 5100, 5130, 5210, 5230, 5280, 5300, or other applicable codes.